Friday, October 28, 2011

An Even MORE Tragic Ending (than Rotary-Norlin)


I had Monday evening planned so perfectly. Bill was working, so after picking Leah and Bo up from school, we went home and I fed them a really early supper. Then we headed over to the west side of town to visit Platinum Valley Park, which isn't far from where I was supposed to attend a meeting at 6:30. The rest of the plan was that after an hour or so, we were going to run to Hy-Vee for some Honey Crisp apples that they could enjoy during my meeting.

Things were going so well. Well, I guess when we pulled up, there was an after-school program playing on the playground, so that was a bummer at first. This park is connected to Harrisburg Explorer Elementary School's playground. But that didn't stop these guys from having fun. We just used the wide open field for races.

Gettin' too fast for the camera!


Then, at 5pm, when the kids went back into the school, we walked over to the playground.

We've been seeing lots of grasshoppers at just about every park we've been to lately.

We even got to enjoy the playground for 20 minutes or so before tragedy struck.

Moments before tragedy struck (I didn't even realize I had it on camera until later), you can see Grier's right leg starting to get caught under the girls. By the time they got to the bottom, both legs had been dragged under and Grier was screaming.

Once I got Baby G calmed down, I tried to put her back on the ground to keep playing. She would have none of it. She immediately started crying again and would not put weight on her legs. Poor Leah felt terrible too. Everyone was very cooperative about heading to the car and staying with Grandpa Ronnie for a couple of hours while Grier and I went to Acute Care.

Just waiting for the x-rays that showed NO BROKEN BONES! Hooray! But it still took until last night, Thursday, before she was putting weight on her legs or trying to walk.

Needless to say, we did not get any Honey Crisp apples for a snack and we did not make it to my meeting. I made sure to buy the Honey Crisps for a special treat when I went to the grocery store the next morning, though. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment